I recognized long ago the power of sharing important ideas and concepts with others. That’s why I fell in love with coaching business owners. I have a fascination for ideas and concepts, and a passion for strategizing. I study the latest greatest business theory all the time. Sharing something I understand with someone in a different field or industry often leads to a blinding flash of the obvious (BFO), for both of us and eventually into innovations in their business.
Here are five steps you can follow when doing this with your team, family or friends:
1. Study and understand the concept yourself first. If you haven’t used it you probably won’t be able to explain it, and it will lack credibility.
2. Where possible try to create some sort of visual representation on paper. It will help deepen your understanding, and recall, and most people are visual learners so it will help you convey the concept.
3. Relate it to a personal story around your experience. People like stories and we all learn better when it relates to something familiar.
4. Spell it out as objectively as you can. Be careful not to draw inferences and conclusions of your own – let them do that for themselves.
5. Ask for their thoughts. The real learning occurs when they explain it back to you, and they have to convert their thoughts into words.
The best way to learn is to teach. What’s one important concept in your business that if everyone understood it better would improve things? If you’re having a tough time coming up with something – flip through my blog, there are plenty of them here!